What is a red route?
Important roads in London are known as ‘red routes’ and Transport for London do everything in their power to make sure passenger journeys on these routes are completed as smoothly and quickly as possible. Define the red routes for your web site and you’ll be able to identify and eliminate any usability obstacles on the key user journeys.
Unfortunately I can no longer find the decision tree that appeared in the article so I have reproduced and extended it:
- Red Route Usability Prioritisation Flow Chart (PDF, 600Kb)
I’ve found it incredibly useful for:
- staying consistent and user-centred when prioritising usability issues
- keeping stakeholders focussed on the most important user tasks
- Added colour-coding for severity
- Added silhouettes to reinforce impact on humans
- Added integers to help rank and score issues by severity