Information may be infinite, however… the organisation of information is finite as it can only be organised by LATCH: Location, Alphabet, Time, Category, or Hierarchy.Richard Saul Wurman
A truism in information architecture. BBC iPlayer and BBC Podcasts are solid examples which blend a mix of…
- Location (channels/stations for a specific region in the UK),
- Alphabet (sub-sorting categories, for example, by alpha),
- Time (lists of shows ordered by recency of broadcast),
- Category (‘categories’ of content, like Comedy and Documentary),
- Hierarchy (Editor’s choice, the importance of station or channel).
…in a single user interface / digital product.