Be Kaler Blake, Founder of Futureheads, chaired a panel encompassing Lewis Milford, Global Talent Acquisition at Nokia; Jonathan Culling, UX Director at Foolproof; and Craig Le Grice, tech and start-up strategist and Jason Mesut; Head of User Experience at RMA Consulting.
Tips for interviewing, or preparing as a candidate
- What do you wish you had worked on and why?
- How do you ensure successful relationships?
- What have you over delivered on?
- projects that have exceeded success criteria, but not necessarily its requirements.
- Probe for humility and emotional intelligence
- the ability to emphasise with, and listen to, colleagues and their criticism.
- Evidence of working with different levels of people, avoiding silo’d mentalities and behaviours.
- What did you do on the project?
- what did you deliver?
- how did you collaborate?
- were you (as a UX’r) at the centre of the project?
- who else was involved?
- Tell the organisation why want to work for them; align with its:
- design language
- goals and challenges
- Use STAR when presenting portfolio information.
- Tell, or elicit, a story about the journey to UX qualifications (and the industry).
- Be prepared to take control and
boss the interviewer:
- provide interview structure (outline career path, portfolio walkthrough)
- have questions
- help the interviewer interview and understand your candidacy